Hopefully you have made the decision to pursue an Amateur Radio License to operate on radio frequencies known as the "Amateur Bands." These bands are radio frequencies allocated by the Federal Communications Commission (F.C.C.) for use by 'ham radio' operators.

Before you can get on the air, you need to know the rules to operate legally and be licensed by the FCC. Amateur radio licenses are valid for 10 years before renewal and anyone may hold one - except a representative of a foreign government.

ARCPC - VE Testing

The ARCPC VE Team utilizes volunteer examiners accredited by the ARRL VEC.

It conducts monthly examinations on Third Monday of each month for Amateur Radio licenses. Pre-registration is not necessary and “walk-ins” are always welcome.

Please see the event on the calendar for more details about time and location.

Testing fees

Please note that the ARRL Examination Fee for 2015 is still $15.00 (for one attempt at all three license elements). Exact change is appreciated and cash is preferred, we are unable to accept credit or debit cards.

What to bring

If you ARE NOT currently licensed, you will need to bring TWO forms of photo identification. A valid State issued Driver's License or Identification Card is preferred. Please bring a copy of your identification to be filed with your application for License..

If you ARE currently licensed, please bring us a COPY of your current FCC license to file with your paperwork, and display one other form of photo identification.

You should also previous to taking the test - register on the FCC website to obtain a FCC Registration Number (FRN) - which is used instead of your social security number - to track your individual FCC licenses. Bring your assigned FRN to the test site.

Ham License Classes

Technician License

The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license requires passing one examination totaling 35 questions on radio theory, regulations and operating practices. The license gives access to all Amateur Radio frequencies above 30 megahertz, allowing these licensees the ability to communicate locally and most often within North America. It also allows for some limited privileges on the HF (also called "short wave") bands used for international communications.

General License

The General class license grants some operating privileges on all Amateur Radio bands and all operating modes. This license opens the door to world-wide communications. Earning the General class license requires passing a 35 question examination. General class licensees must also have passed the Technician written examination.

Extra License

The Amateur Extra class license conveys all available U.S. Amateur Radio operating privileges on all bands and all modes. Earning the license is more difficult; it requires passing a thorough 50 question examination. Extra class licensees must also have passed all previous license class written examinations.

Note: The Morse Code test requirement was dropped on February 23, 2007.